Sunday, November 27, 2005

First Time Mum

Baby Blues

A very exhausted XG with her 3 fat boys


12th November 2005 4:30pm

Lots of blood, panting, squeezing and 4 hours later my beloved XG became a mum. :D She had 1 girl and 3 boys. Unfortunately, the one and only girl was a runt and didn't survive. She wasn't suckling. The vet wanted to put her down but I believe that every living thing should be given a chance to life. 2 days later she passed away despite the 4 hourly bottle feeding. :''( I was really upset but guess everything happened for a reason. She would probably grow up with lots of other problems so it might be better for her this way. Now I concentrate on taking care of the 3 fat boys who are taking after the size of their father, the Rotty a block away. That bastard I gonna kill him one day.

XG wasn't experienced in taking care of her babies, she still isn't. Somehow I think they're too big for her, or maybe she just doesn't know how to pick them up. They would crawl everywhere and spread out in the lounge room. I saw her trying to collect them and put them back in the basket but after a few failed attempts and constantly dropping the poor pups to the ground she gave up. She would come to me and look at me with her "puppy eyes". Initially I helped her pick them up but after a while I thought hey this is not my job she has to learn to do it by herself. Now she goes to each and every one of them to feed them instead of trying to put them back to the basket.

It's not easy being a mum, let alone a single mum. Now it makes me think twice about becoming a mum myself (if I ever get married that is LOL). Those little buggers cry and whinge and want to feed 24/7. They're sucking her dry my poor XG. :( It's no wonder after a week XG would try to hide in the bedroom or the toilet and when I put the pups inside the basket and told her to go inside to feed them she would escape through the cat's door and run away. :\ One morning I woke up to the cry of the puppies and the cry got louder and louder. All of a sudden the bedroom door barged open and in came XG. She dropped a ball of high pitch noise producing white fur next to my bed and left. I was speechless.

XG is an Australian Cattle Dog bred to endure the hardship of the Australian outback. She was from a cattle station in Boulia in northwest Queensland. Fiercely loyal, nobody has succeeded in bribing her so far. Sure, she'll take that steak from your hand and act harmless and innocent and cute but once she's finished with the steak be prepared to get nipped in the heel and herded out the door. Very protective of her possessions (fortunately or unfortunately I too fall into that category), she spent most time at the front gate when she was still a single carefree girl protecting her property and wouldn't allow anyone to come within 2m of her property. I read somewhere that the ACDs are No. 3 in the Top 5 Most Likely to Attack Dog in Australia. With the Rottweiler genes in her pups they could be trained to be good guard dogs when they grow up. :D No one can mess with me now. :D *evil laugh*

The council only allows maximum 2 dogs per house. Bloody council. I'll have to start looking for a home for them. I'm thinking about keeping one but they're all so cute and I want to keep them all! :( Better not get too attached to them. 4 more weeks to go and they'll be weaned off and will have to leave home. :(

Anyone wants a puppy? :p

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but the way u wrote this post is hilarious!

12/12/05 1:04 am  
Blogger dJcarmen said...

they're so cute...

12/12/05 1:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home