Friday, December 30, 2005

Confession of a Workaholic

I can't wait to get back to work. I've been on holiday for a week and I'm bored to death. This place is so bloody hot to go anywhere. The beaches are only about 20 mins drive from my place but I've no intention of turning myself into a homo sapien roast. I thought Mount Isa was hot, average summer temperature hovers around 45 degrees Celcius up there, but I found it easier to cope, dry heat is more tolerable. I hate humidity. I wonder which idiot built this lousy house I'm renting, it's a bloody sweatbox. Cold in winter, hot in summer. Even with all the doors and windows open it's still hotter inside the house than outside. :( The aircon is on full blast 24/7 but doesn't cool the place down effectively thanks to the poor/nil insulation. So here I am sitting on my big fat arse whinging.

I miss going to work (no I'll not admit it's because of the aircon). Actually I don't see it as work because I really enjoy what I do. I work 6 days a week and I don't see it as a chore. I wonder how many ppl go to the dental school because they've a passion for dentistry, or because of the $ they thought they gonna get once they grad. No doubt it's a very secure job, unemployment rate for dentist is 0%, you can get fired today and get another job the next day, but if you don't like it you'll be miserable. I was chatting with my friend S the other day over the phone, she sounded depress, even more depressed than when she was in dental school. She hates her job. She's only in it because of the bling but no the bling didn't bring her happiness. How sad.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to tell the truth, most don't go for it for passion but for the bling.
but well.. i guess life is not all about blings huh?
but who am i kidding, it is all about blings!!
wait.. i am confused..
oh well.. bottomline.. it's also a stressful job.. so one must know what you're into.. :P

1/1/06 5:26 am  
Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

In short, bling is not everything but without bling you are nothing. :p

2/1/06 7:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r amazing... i've never heard of anyone who has a passion for dentistry... or maybe i don't know much people... but if u don't mind me asking, how did u find out that this is what u wanted to do??

4/1/06 4:04 am  
Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

anonymous: No I didn't know this was what I want to do. My high school teacher (that bitch! ooooops I shouldn't insult bitches) purposely stuffed up my medical school application (we'd to apply to uni through our high school). I got thrown into dental school while I tried to sort out my applications. In the end I got into St Bartholomew & the Royal London School of Medicine but I realised medicine sucks and went back to dental school, best decision I've ever made in my life. :D My dad never get over the fact that his precious little girl is a lowly much hated dentist instead of the "highly respectable" medical doctor. I guess if you've to fight for your right to become a dentist you know you love it.

6/1/06 6:02 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

hey DDU,
i've been out of school for three years, and worked in many offices. some places were toxic, like nasty people and staff, dirty facilities, whatever. some patients are very mean, unappreciative, picky, et cetera. but despite the fact that some days are really shitty, sometimes my RCTs don't come out the way i want them to, or some kid drools and pukes all over me, i still love what i do.

i knew dentistry made a lot of money, but so does being an investment banker (in the US, at least) those guys pull in at least six figures, but they work over 60 hours a week and can't possible enjoy what they've earned. i'l be lying if i said, oh, i love teeth and i'll do dentistry no matter what it pays. that's just not practical, especially considering how much it actually costs to go to dental school in the US (over $180G for four years) and how much i have to pay back in student loans. but i wouldn't have made that investment if i really didn't like teeth! i think it's the combination of the fact that i can work fewer days, stay at home with cookie puss and make a good living while being a professional and still looking foward to going to work in the morning.

just my two cents ;-)

15/1/06 3:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home