Sunday, January 08, 2006

Do I look like a fucking Jap to you???

That's it. I've enough of this bullshit. Why the hell do ppl keep asking me whether I'm a Jap. Do I look like one to you? DUH! This is the third time this week someone ask me this stupid question. For your information I was born in Taiwan, I've Chinese ancestry and my maternal grandfather fought the bloody Japs during WWII (and I'm very proud of him!). I wonder why nobody ever ask me whether I'm Chinese, it's either Jap or Korean. Geez.


My maternal grandfather joined the resistant in China to fight the Japanese during WWII. The pic was taken at 海防 ("Hai Fang") before they set off to the China-Viet Nam border.

It was a turbulent period and China was invaded by several Western countries before the Japanese came. Supply was low and poor. I remember Grandpa had a very deep scar on his lower abdomen, the result of bayonet wound. He told me that in the end he ran out of ammunition and had to fight barehanded. Only one person was allowed to live. He didn't tell me what happened to his opponent, but my Grandpa lived.

Everyone knows about the Holocaust of European Jews by the Nazis during WWII, but how many people actually know about the Holocaust of the Chinese by the Japanese during WWII?

35 millions Chinese civilians were killed in China (not to mention those overseas such as Malaya, Singapore and Indonesia). 300 000 were massacred in the city of Nanking (the capital of the Republic of China) alone 6 weeks after the city fell. Live humans were dissected without anaesthesia for biochemical experiments. Biochemical warfare in labs and battlefields were committed over 2,700 times, causing countless deaths, and intentionally flouted the Treaty of Geneva. Hundreds of thousands had also been forced to become slave labourers and sex slaves.

It makes me sick that the Japanese government is still in denial, refused to admit to the war crimes, and distorting history in textbooks. They think that as soon as everyone who was involved during that period pass away one by one it'll be forgotten. How wrong.

So don't ever ask me whether I'm a Jap. I feel insulted. It makes me sick. I am Chinese, and proud of it.

I think I'll be visiting Shanghai again in Nov. I kinda miss that place. I'd so much fun there. A poor bugger like me living like a millionaire, not to mention my high school mates working there as expats treat me like a Queen. :p And the food! Gosh I miss 羊肉串. :(




5 Comments:

Blogger Flatfeet said...

VN,i want that ren sheng pack! hurhur.

9/1/06 1:57 am  
Blogger Piffles said...

well, my sis gets that as well, bout whether she's jap.

my friends and i were mistaken as japs when we were visiting wales donkey years ago, this guy on the street started shouting at us about hiroshima and stuff like that. thankfully we didn't get beaten up. :D

9/1/06 2:13 am  
Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

flatfeet: Let's go to SH in Nov! :D

piffles: When we do something bad overseas we always claim we're Japs. ;p

9/1/06 2:16 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think its a general Aussie thing not being able to distinguish different races. They think if you have black hair, your all fromt he same place. I get asked that alot as well. Hehe I used to tell them "no, I'm from Singapore" but lately they would be even more judgemental about that :)

I also dislkike how they ask how long you've been in Aust and "compliment" your ability to speak English. Sadly, some of the staff where I work don't even like eating at Aussified chinese restaurants and even admitted to throwing a loaf of bread away without even tasting it just because her partner bought it from the Vietnamese bakery saying" I don't even want to try that skanky bread. " It does scare me sometimes what would happen if an all out racial war breaks out here down under.

Oh well, hopefully it will all be ok ... until then, I'll keep fixing and drilling and filling

21/1/06 5:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I love Japan as a country (with all its pros and cons), it is a downright shame the history books are still distorted. This is simply unacceptable.

Funnily enough, my wife, who is Japanese, is always called a Chinese in Holland. I wonder if people are just blunt or plain stupid.

18/3/06 11:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home